Divan Laing, or otherwise know as ‘Dirkie’, has become one of South Africa’s favourite characters. He palyed a ‘typical’ Afrikaans boy who’s dating Nomatriquency, the fiery character made famous and played by Lasizwe Dambuza.
Divan, who started his acting career in Grade 9 when he was part of the musical Queen, got a state of the stage and never looked back. When the spotlight was on him, he describes it as “a high that I want to keep on chasing for the rest of my life” and so he did. We caught up with this dynamic young actor to get to know him a little bit better, and have a few laughs along the way.
- How has all the attention been since working with Lasizwe?
Hehehe this has just been such a crazy ride. Like I feel that my name is Dirkie now and not Divan anymore. It’s fun sometimes to be so recognised and sometimes not so fun. Like the other day a boy stopped and he was like hey you are Dirkie, gosh you look so much better now, you were a little fat in Living with Afrikaans… I just laughed.
- What are you working on now that we’re at Level 1?
I am now a call actor at an Afrikaans soap called “Getroud met Rugby.” And just hustling and slowly but surely starting to audition again after a very Covid fulled year.
- What is the one goal you’ll never stop working towards, something particularly personal?
My biggest goal that I am working towards in life is accepting myself. I struggle with self-image issues and also to try and live life to the fullest after I came out as gay in 2018.
- When was the last time you stayed up past 4 in the morning and what were you doing?
The last time I stayed up past 4 in the morning I was shooting a horror movie and playing a cannibal eating a girl hehehe.
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
“Fuck it, just do it.” I have always had more regret not doing something than doing something. So I am trying to break that habbit.
- What is one thing that you can’t do?
Keep a man… Hehehe jokes. I can’t sing. I suck at singing.
- What or who inspires you?
The actress Marlee van der Merwe inspires me. She is one of the most talented actresses in South Africa, yet she is so humble.
- What’s the one thing you wish people knew about you?
I am actually an introvert.
- Next place you want to travel to and why?
Greece. I just have lots of dreams of rocking a speedo on the beaches in Greece and sipping on a Pina Colada.