The Savanna Comics’ Choice Awards mark its 9th spectacular year at the beautiful Lyric Theatre in Johannesburg. It is the one night of the year where comedians, friends and fans of comedy come together to see who the comics of the continent have voted for as the best among them.
This year, the Waldos statuettes, went to:
- Best Friend of Comedy – Joe Parker
- Savanna Newcomer – Chomi Ya Jeso
- Next Level – Tsitsi Chiumya
- Headliner of the Year – Mpho “Popps” Modikoane
- Audience Choice Award – PelePele Mchunu
- Savanna Pan African Comic of the Year – Long John The Comedian
- Native Tongue – Siya Seya
- Flying Solo – Celeste Ntuli
- Comic’s Pen – Kagiso Lediga
- Savanna Comic of the Year – Loyiso Gola
- Comedy G – Celeste Ntuli
- Lifetime Achiever – Soli Philander
This year also saw the CCA Audience Choice voting system migrate from SMS to an online platform. A whopping 180 000 plus votes were cast in this category, the only category where the public votes for the winner. After being nominated every year in this category, the audience went wild when PelePele was announced the winner, finally!
Soli Philander, the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award, was presented with his Waldo by his childhood friend, Doreen Morris. The duo spoke nostalgically about growing up in Elsie’s Rivier and their adventures in show business.
For the first time, the SA Savanna Comics’ Choice Awards was live-streamed on YouTube and is available HERE for anyone who missed it.